View Single Post
Old 03-23-2003, 02:47 AM   #253
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child's post

Shortly after Merry's arrival, the group sat down to enjoy their meal. There was a great deal of joshing and laughing, with Sam insisting that Bilbo preside at the head of the table and do the honors of carving the roast. It took only one invitation to persuade the elderly hobbit to take his accustomed spot.

Bilbo laughed at the foolishness of it all, saying it had been a good thirty years since he'd had dinner in the comfort of Bag-end. Still, he seemed to take considerable satisfaction from thinking back on those days, and seeing the younger ones sitting in their usual places.

Frodo was chatting with Pippin about some plan they'd concocted that involved wandering down to the old fishing hole the next day to try out their luck. Pippin was to stay in the guest bedroom for just one night. Miz Rose would be sure and hold them to their promise of catching fish to fix for lunch.

Near the end of dinner, Sam rose to offer a toast, "To friends, wherever we wander, however distant our roads lead, let's not forget each other and the good times we've had." There was a hearty round of applause as the hobbits quaffed a final flagon and pushed back their chairs from the table. Sam cleared off the dishes, being careful to sweep out the sitting room so that Miz Rose would not have any bother after she arrived home.

Frodo walked up to Sam to help and, as they washed and dried the dishes, he casually noted, "It must be hard on Rose now, with so much to do in the house, and another one on the way."

Sam nodded in agreement, "It's hard for her. But then, you know, Mr. Frodo, the really important things in life never come without an effort."

Frodo smiled back with a wistful expression on his face, "Yes, that's something we both know." He hesitated a minute and then went on. "You know, Sam, I'd like to help if I could. I mean that."

"Oh, Mr. Frodo, I wouldn't want to put any burden on you."

"Honest, Sam, it would be no burden."

Then Bilbo called to them from the other side of the room, and their conversation was interrupted.

Piosenniel's post:

It was a pleasant, relaxed evening. And at the end of it, the children had gathered back in round the adults, their tired bodies seated on the ground and leaning up against legs, or seated on willing laps, their tired heads drowsing against chests. ‘Time to go back home,’ said Miz Rose. Elanor fetched the cart and the little ones were trundled into it by Merimac, Ban, and Mithadan. Amaranthas and the others waved them off, assuring Miz Rose there was no need to worry about clean up. They Chubb boys from just down the lane would be coming over tomorrow and would see to everything.

Next to go were Angelica and her family. Pio hugged the Hobbit, much to Angelica’s surprise, saying she should come to the Inn again soon and bring Prisca again, as Hob really enjoyed being with her. ‘In fact, I think if you brought all three it would work out just fine. Hob and Minta should get to know them, before you leave the children with them - while you are midwiving for me.’ She saw the look of doubt on Angelica’s face. ‘Minta comes from a large family of rowdy boys. She will have no trouble taking care of your three. In fact, she looks forward to the challenge.’

The inn’s wagon was brought round by Mithadan. Pio, Rose and the others climbed aboard and made their way under the stars back to the Green Dragon. Pio leaned, tired, against Mithadan speaking softly to him, and laughing at his answers. Ban and Zira with Azra in her arms, sat together in the back, his arm about her shoulders as they watched the moon glide along behind the wagon in the branches of the trees.

On blankets in the bed of the wagon, Rose and Abar lay side by side, looking at the twinkling clusters of stars overhead. They pointed out the familiar forms and named them, each in their own way. ‘Pretty, isn’t it,’ said Abar as he pointed out the Burning Briar, or the Wain as Rose named it.

‘It’s amazing,’ said Rose, as she traced the pattern in the sky. ‘No matter that we call them different names, the same stars shine down on all of us . . .’

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]