View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 03:18 PM   #258
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Come on! Cook should have made her pastries for second breakfast by now.’ Pio looked out the window at the bright sunshine and cloudless sky, then tossed the pile of clothes on the chair to Mithadan. ‘It looks to be the start of a lovely day. Perhaps we can take the cart out for a ride, see the countryside, have a picnic, anything to get us out into the fresh air.’ Laughing she pulled his shirt over his head as he sat up in bed.

Minutes later he was up and followed after her, jamming his feet into his boots as he made his way to the door. He rubbed his hand over his chin, and thought ruefully he should take time to shave. But Pio grabbed him by the hand and hurried him to the kitchen.

It was a somber scene which greeted them as they entered. Pio looked about hopefully for the blackberry muffins she expected, but not even a crumb gave evidence of their whereabouts and no aroma of possible treasures still in the oven made their way to her nose.

Cook had retired to her room. And Buttercup stood at the counter slicing bread into thick slices and toasting them. ‘There’s naught but toast and jams or cheeses for second breakfast, Mistress Piosenniel. Cooks taken to her room for the day and Prim’s gone off for a while. So, I’m doing the best I can. There’ll be soup for lunch. I found some put away in the cooler. But what we’ll be having for the evening meal is anybody’s guess.’

Mithadan rounded up three mugs of tea and a plate stacked high with toasted bread. He pulled out the chairs for Pio and for Buttercup, who blushed at his courteous behavior. ‘Sit down, Buttercup, and tell us what has happened.’ Pio spread a generous helping of gooseberry jam on her toast, and took a bite, offering the plate of toast and the jam jar to the Hobbit.

Buttercup shook her head ‘no’ and passed everything on to Mithadan. She sipped her tea while telling them the story that Cook had related that morning about the kidnappings, and finishing with the departure of Prim to speak to the Shiriff about the need for extra vigilance in this part of the Shire.

Pio’s face grew grave as Buttercup talked on. The thought that someone was kidnapping children made her angry, and her fingers flexed reflexively, as if to grab at some weapon and join in the hunt for such an evil person. She looked at Mithadan, who had been listening intently to the Hobbit’s story. The Shiriff would once again be hounding him she feared. He was too convenient a Man to escape the suspicions she knew would be growing against him.

She reached for his hand, trying not to feel alarmed. ‘Perhaps we should just spend a quiet day here at the Inn. Suddenly I am not sure a ride in the countryside would be a good idea . . .

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]