View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 03:38 PM   #259
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Frodo was loading up on fishing gear that he'd found in one of the cupboards from the Inn. He'd risen early, intending to meet Sam and Pippin at the pond, in hopes of capturing a good mess of fish that they could take over to Miz Rose and fry up for lunch. Bilbo had decided to stay at the Inn, since he was still tired from his adventures of the evening before.

Just as Frodo was sprinting out the door, he heard a stern voice calling him back, "Oh, no you don't. You're not going anywhere without this." Bilbo held out a heavy cudgel that had evidently been pried loose from a tree in the Inn's courtyard. It was a good three feet long and as thick around as a hobbit's arm might be.

"What's this for?" Frodo queried in complete bewilderment. A slight smile creased his lips as he turned towards his uncle, "Am I supposed to cudgel the fish?"

"My boy, this is no laughing matter." Bilbo wagged a finger under Frodo's nose. "Last night at Bag-end, while you were cavorting with your friends, I happened to look out the window. Frodo, there was a strange shadow there, and I swear I saw a pair of eyes staring back. And what an evil look they had!"

"Perhaps it was just another hobbit out for an evening stroll, or maybe your own eyes deceived you."

Bilbo turned to his nephew and crossed his arms, a look of certainty etched on his face. "Hobbits aren't six feet tall. I tell you one of the big folk was there, sneaking around."

"Bilbo, I find this hard to believe. You spent the entire week convincing me that the Shire is a safe place for us, and now you say there are prowlers?"

Bilbo dug in his heels and looked stubbornly at his nephew, "Frodo Baggins, believe me or not. It's your choice, but you will carry this cudgel. And here's a second one. Give this to Cami. She and Maura have a burrow by the pond. I suspect they're completely defenseless."

Frodo sighed. He truly had no idea what to believe. Bilbo was evidently convinced he'd seen something suspicious. Perhaps he was mistaken, but maybe there had actually been something lurking in the bushes, some hidden danger that posed a threat to them. In any case, Frodo had no wish to hurt his uncle's feelings so he took one cudgel for himself, intending to use it as a walking stick, and promised to give the other to Maura. As he went out the door, one last thought crossed his mind. It might be wise to tell Sam exactly what Bilbo had said.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]