View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 04:58 PM   #271
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

26 Lotessė (27 Thrimidge S.R.)

"Be sure to tell as many as you can about it--I want everyone here who can be here." The messenger nodded, and took off. Sam rubbed his temples. What a time for this to happen! He had been up late last night, trying to prepare for the meeting and helping Rose with a fussy Hamfast. The heavy rings under his eyes testified to that fact.

He sat down at his desk and took a piece of paper, planning to write a letter that he was supposed to have written two days before. His hand dictated what came out, though, and it turned out to be a sketch, a rough drawing of a landscape. He frowned at it, then smiled ruefully at the barren land and the erupting mountain that he had subconsciously drawn. "It could be worse," he told himself. "Yes, it could be." He stood up slowly, pushing the sketch into a drawer, and went to get ready for the meeting.

"Thank you all for coming," Sam began, above chairs squeaking and feet shuffling as the hobbits all took their places in the meetingroom of the town hall. "I've called you here to discuss a serious problem facing our community. At a gathering at my house several days ago, one of my guests noticed someone skulking around outside. And no hobbit, either, but a Man, which is, as you all know, in direct violation of the King's edict. Let me continue," he said, as the murmur began to grow. "These bandits, or whatever they are, are obviously bold and dangerous folk to be breaking the laws of the King Elessar. This is something that concerns us all, and should worry us all. I don't know why these Men have come here, or what their plans are for the Shire, but I plan to stop them. For all I know, they could be planning a fireworks show for the children of the Shire, but they are still in violation of the King's laws, and for that they must be driven out. Our Shirrifs will be doing their duties more diligently than ever, but we must help them. I suggest that we organize into teams to patrol the area, especially the roads, and at night, watching for these bandits. But you must all be on the watch, at all times. Keep an eye on your children, or two, if you can! We're doing everything we can, but you must help. I welcome your suggestions and your thoughts." Sam stopped, and waited for someone to speak.

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]