View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #197
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

Meghan

So caught up had she been in her own thoughts that she did not hear him approach. She gasped, turning quickly to face the source of the noise behind her. Osmod! He was talking to her, but she did not catch his words at first. The sound of his voice seemed so incongruous in this little sphere of silence she had entered.

‘. . . think we should head back now?’

She looked down at the little drawing in the dirt at his feet, wondering what it meant. It seemed more intricate than the last he had drawn.

‘. . . couldn’t sleep anyway.’

His words came to an end and he smiled sadly, his gaze turning up toward the hill where the others were. He was worried about them, it showed in his face. Yet, he had come after her and here he was, offering his hand to her. And then the thought struck her. He was worried about her, too. It was an oddly comforting thought; and in a way, somehow disquieting. This mix of unfamiliar feelings made her uneasy.

She laid her hand lightly in his outstretched one, using it for balance as she took a little leaping step over the pattern on the ground. Her hand dropped away, resting at her own side, as soon as her feet were steady on the other side. ‘My thanks!’ she said, nodding at him quickly.

‘Perhaps your right. We should get back.’ She matched her pace to his longer stride as best she could. ‘At least to rest, if not to sleep.’ She pulled her cloak closer about her, blocking out the chilly air. ‘Will we head south again tomorrow,’ she asked breaking the silence as they walked up the hill. ‘Or head west?’

---------------

Rædwald

‘There you are!’ Raedwald was halfway down the hill when he spied the two coming up. ‘Now how am I to hold up my end of the bargain with your brother if you go wandering off when I’m dead asleep?’ He rubbed the back of his head, looking at her. ‘If it hadn’t been for young Fionn, tossing and turning in his blankets, I would have slept right through ‘til daybreak!’

He nodded to Osmod. ‘My thanks for seeing her safely back to camp. I’m wide awake now. What say you if I take the watch for now, and you catch a few winks of sleep. Be daybreak in a few hours.’

Rædwald looked to Meghan. ‘Now look at you, lass. You’re shivering in the cold.’ Rædwald took off his own cloak and wrapped it about her. He was heads taller than she was and it trailed on the ground as she walked along.