View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #199
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Brand had only slept a few hours of the past night. He had hoped they would be further along the river by now, but the incident with the cougar and the finding of the burned village had put them behind schedule. He lay awake for the most part, thinking what needed to be done before they could ride again.

The cat and her offspring had done more damage than just to his face and arm. One of the sacks of dried meats had been mauled and ruined, even though they’d hung it high from the branch of a tall tree. He had not been thinking of a hungry big cat as a predator when they’d done that. It had been easy for the animal to climb out to the sack and retrieve it. Now he filed that bit of information away for future use; though he hoped there would be no more encounters of that sort.

He was up before first light, and had stoked up their little camp fire into a good sized blaze. The river was near, and he was thinking of catching a number of fish. Split open and smoked near the fire, they would be a good source of meat for a fair number of days. He made a kettle of strong tea and enough noise to wake most of the others up at least a little.

‘What say we see if we can catch a few winter trout?’ He walked over to where Dorran sat still wrapped in his blankets, knuckling the sleep from his eyes. ‘Here! This’ll peel your eye lids open,’ he said with a little grin as he handed him a mug of tea. ‘And how about you, Leod? Think we can outwit a few of our finny friends?’

‘How about I meet you two down there?’ he pointed toward the river’s edge just east of their camp. ‘Was up early and sorted out my lines. I’ll start getting them set. The early morning rise should just be coming on. I hope a few of the fattened for winter fish will still be greedy enough to take the hook. And worse, comes to worse, we can try our luck with my small net in the eddies.’

The two nodded their heads at him, though whether it was in agreement or just an appeasement so that he would quit chattering at them so early in the day. He fetched a cup of tea for Leod, then took his leave. Curious and eager for company, the dog followed after.

Last edited by Arry; 03-13-2006 at 03:28 PM.