View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #372
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Oh, but first cousins twice-removed are different than first cousins. According to the chart I've found, first cousins twice removed are your great-great-great-grandfather's grandkids. So who's Elrond's great-great-great-grandfather? Once you know that, answering the question should be easy.
Oh, Mandos take it, they count weirdly on the upper edges. That's entirely unfair and makes no sense besides. I knew I remembered there being something weird there, but convinced myself I'd made it up...

Okay. Checking the charts, it's Elrond's great-Great-grandparents we care about, of which he has up to 16. Working through his grandparents, they are:

-For Nimloth, the only one named is Galadhon. His other known grandkid is Celebrian.

-For Dior, his grandparents are:

--Thingol and Melian, who have no grandkids Dior.

--Barahir and Emeldir, ditto.

-For Tuor, his grandparents are:

--Galdor the Tall and Hareth of Dor Lomin; their other grandkids are Turin, you, and Nienor.

--Belegund, father of Rian. She's his only known child.

-Finally, for Idril, her known grandparents are Fingolfin and Anaire. Their other grandchildren are Maeglin and, according to the Silm, Gil-Galad.

Which makes a perfect set of six, for you: your four favourite Edain, plus Elrond's wife and boss, were all his first cousins twice removed.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote