View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Of the Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin

This is the first draft of the chapter Of the Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin.

Our basis text is that of the Later Quenta Silmarillion given in HoME 11; page 177-180. Wherever the text is different from that this is marked by an editing mark.

The markings are:
NG-EX-xx for tracking the changes from QS to LQ2 (I did not bother with LQ1) as well as additions from the Grey Annals.

Some conventions of my writing:
Normal Text is from the basic text that is mentioned above (when I change the basic-Text it will be mentioned)
Bold Text = source information, comments and remarks
{example} = text that should be deleted
[example] = normalised text, normally only used for general changes
<source example> = additions with source information
...... = This section of the paragraph is unchanged from the source.

In LQ2 there were several names that were corrected to their final forms in the text, and these I have not commented on, as it seemed needlessly cumbersome. The names I have not marked are:
Inglor > Finrod; Bladorion > Ard-galen; Gnomes > Noldor; Glomund > Glaurung; Nivrost > Nevrast; Finrod > Finarfin

Quote:
NG-EX-01 <LQ2 OF THE FOUNDING OF NARGOTHROND AND GONDOLIN>

§100. But on a time Turgon left Nevrast where he dwelt and went to visit Finrod his friend, and they journeyed southward along Sirion, ....... But unquiet was upon them ever after and doubt of what should befall, and they wandered often alone in NG-EX-02 <LQ1 {unexplored country}[untrodden lands]>, seeking far and wide for places of hidden strength; for it seemed to each that he was bidden to prepare for a day of evil, and to establish a retreat, lest Morgoth should burst from Angband and overthrow the armies of the North.
NG-EX-03 <LQ2 {§101. Thus it came to pass that Inglor found the deep gorge of Narog and the caves in its western side; and he built their a stronghold and armories after the fashion of the deep mansions of Menegroth. And he called this place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the Gnomes of the North, at first in merriment, called him on this account Felagund, or Lord of Caverns, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. But Turgon went alone into hidden places, and by the guidance of Ulmo found the secret vale of Gondolin; and of this he said naught as yet, but returned to Nivrost and his folk.} And it came to pass that Finrod and {Galağriel}[Galadriel] were on a time the guests of Thingol and Melian; for there was friendship between the lord of Doriath and the House of Finarfin that were his kin, and the princes of that house alone were suffered to pass the girdle of Melian. ...... And he called that place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the Gnomes of the North, at first in jest, called him on this account Felagund, NG-EX-04 <LQ2 [Footnote: This was in fact a {Dwarfish}[Dwarvish] name; for Nargothrond was first made by the Dwarves, as is later recounted.]> or 'lord of caverns’, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. Yet Galadriel his sister dwelt never in Nargothrond, but remained in Doriath and received the love of Melian, and abode with her, and there learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth.> NG-EX-05 <LQ2 Now Turgon remembered rather the City set upon a Hill, Tirion the fair with its Tower and Tree, and he found not what he sought, and returned to Nevrast, and sat at peace in Vinyamar by the shore. There after three years Ulmo himself appeared to him, and bade him go forth again alone to the Vale of Sirion; and Turgon went forth and by the guidance of Ulmo he discovered the hidden vale of Tumladen in the encircling mountains, in the midst of which there was a hill of stone. Of this he spoke to none as yet, but returned to Nevrast, and there began in his secret counsels to devise the plan of a fair city NG-EX-06{[struck out} a memorial of Tirion upon Tuna for which his heart still yearned in exile[.]{, and though he pondered much in thought he]}>

NG-EX-07 <LQ2 Of the Dagor Aglareb>

§102. And even while Turgon and Felagund were wandering abroad, Morgoth seeing that many Noldor were dispersed over the land made trial of their strength and watchfulness. He shook the North with ...... for there is a gap in that region between the hills of {Maidros}[Maedhros] and the outliers of NG-EX-08 <LQ2 Ered Luin,> the Blue Mountains. But Fingolfin and {Maidros}[Maedhros] gathered ....... This was the NG-EX-09 <LQ2 {second}[third]> great battle of these wars and was named Dagor Aglareb, ....... , and set such watch upon Angband that Fingolfin boasted NG-EX-10 <GA 60 that (save by treason among themselves)> Morgoth could never again escape nor come upon them unawares.
§ 103. Yet the Noldor could not capture Angband, ....... When nearly a hundred years had run since the {Second}[Third] Battle, he sent forth an army ...... , and only part of the folk of Hithlum fought there.
§104. Again after a hundred years Glaurung, ...... . But they had not seen the last of Glaurung.
NG-EX-01: This heading was inserted as a separate chapter to LQ2.
NG-EX-02: change in LQ.
NG-EX-03: This paragraph was replaced with the following.
NG-EX-04: This footnote was inserted. I cannot remember if this is in fact 'later recounted.' Is this brought up at all in the Tale of Turin? The name Nulukkhizidun as well, was that used then?
NG-EX-05: This was inserted.
NG-EX-06: I have retained the most of the struck out note, simply because the sentence in the Grey Annals is nearly identical, and there is no replacement.
NG-EX-07: This subheading was inserted along with the chapter heading.
NG-EX-08: This was inserted.
NG-EX-09: This was changed in LQ2.
NG-EX-10: This was the only difference between the Grey Annals and QS account, so I added it.

This section was exceedingly straightforward. So much so, in fact, that I feel I must have missed some other source of information. If anyone knows of any additions they think appropriate please help me out lol.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote