View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 12:29 AM   #39
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Aiwendil, I bow to the light of your wisdom.

Perhaps it is best to merely keep CRT's effort in mind, but otherwise put it aside for a while.

We should start anew with whole cloth and make it into a quilt of real JRRT text from the Quenta Noldorina, Lost Tales and what not. I don't know of anything in the later tales that would make traitors among the Doriathrim so inconceivable. With the Silmirils came the Doom of the Mandos.

[I'am increasingly of the mind, though, that CRT's edited [I]Silmirillion[I/] is as good as anything that his father might have done in the 1950s---as intended---had he gotten it together, at that time. The obvious exception would have been the true completion of the later chapters, for which CRT prudently chose quick, if sometimes dirty resolutions. Those chapters were evidently never ever really worked on again, since the 1930s, under any scheme. And the later schemes of JRRT were too ambitious and was never going to approach publishable form. By 1977, the publishers had waited long enough.]

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Man-of-the-Wold ]
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote