View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #34
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I know this is turning into a 'book' type thread, but for me the scenes from crickhowell to Bree are SO important to me, and are some of the most 'atmospheric' among the whole book. I know this sounds daft, but it starts for me when frodo and company are starting off in the early morning towards the old forest. Whenever I read this, I get the feeling of being up early in the morning, ready to leave. I can't put my finger on why, this is just one of the passages that sticks with me. And the way tolkien describes the hobbits fulling into slumber as they approach and sit by old man willow, also leaves me feeling tired (but not bored!) as well. his descriptive style is second to none.

and then onto one of the most startling passages in the entire trilogy, as first Tom asks for the ring (and frodo willingly obliges) and puts it on without vanishing. then Frodo tries to leave with the ring on and tom says he's not that blind yet!

I know this couldn't have worked in the film, as jackson has given the ring, or to be more precise, Sauron, too much power for this to work. (Exactly the same reason why Sam couldn't wear the ring later on in rotk).......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote