View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #344
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Dinodas smiled at them. "Good for you on stealing Maggot's blackberries," he said with a nod. "That's quite a challenging thing. I'm going to be reproached by my wife for telling you that, but it's true, and I know how it feels to be young."

There was a little tap on his shoulder and he turned to see a barmaid standing here. "Excuse me, sir, but are you Mr. Dinodas Green?" At his nod, she continued, "Well, Mrs. Green is asking for you."

"Thank you," said Dinodas, and stood up. "Please excuse me." He fished around in his pocket and drew out two coins, giving one to each child. "Buy yourself a treat, and good luck on your next adventure..." He paused, and then added, "But I'd advise you not to try Maggot again. You can rob from him once or twice, and if you're lucky even three times, but then he'll catch you and Mr. Maggot is too good with a stick." Then he took his leave of them.

He found Robin sitting in their room, one hand on her belly, her eyes on the sleeping children. "Are you all right, Robin-bird?" he asked with a frown.

"I'm fine," she said, waving him off. "But I saw, whether you believe me or not, Nuru go walking by. Do you think you could watch the children so I could....?"

"Of course," said Dinodas, but he frowned still. "You know, Robin, you don't look too well. I think you should rest. Maybe we should even go home."

Robin shook her head stubbornly, her lips set. "I have to find Nuru, Dinodas." Then she sighed. "I'd love to go home, but you know we can't right now, what with renting it out. You know we're not rich, Dinodas, and the price of a room here is cheaper than living in our hole at the moment. We're being paid while by the boarders." With Dinodas' help, she got to her feet. Seeing that he still looked worried, she laughed. "Don't worry, Dinodas. The baby won't come for awhile more. Not until a few months after our innkeeper's."

"She'll be leaving soon, more's the pity," said Dinodas. "She's a wonderful person. I've no doubts that the next innkeeper will be just as wonderful, but I've gotten so accustomed to Pio, though I've only been here for a short while. Last time we were here Dwarin was innkeeper."

Robin nodded. "Ah well, Dinodas, Pio'll be back. With her twins, too. Even if she stayed here and had her babies at the inn, she would have to have someone come take over. She can't do both at the same time, can she?"

Robin walked towards the door. "I'll be back as soon as I talk to Nuru."

"And then you'll rest, do you here me? There's always such a thing as the baby coming earlier than expected."

"Not this early, Dinodas." As Robin walked down the long hall he just barely caught her final remark. "You needn't worry, Dinodas. The baby won't come until we're all safe back in our hole. You'll see."

Nuru pushed open the door to Don's room, struggling to keep her eyes open. A few minutes ago she had been determined to tell Rie everything no matter what stood in her way, but halfway up the stairs she wished she could leave it all till morning. But she knew Rie would want to hear, and she knew she had to tell. It will probably give Rie one horrible night with no sleep, Nuru thought, but the sooner she decides the better... better for Talômi and herself.

"Hullo, Don," Nuru said, smiling sleepily at the little hobbit girl, who grinned happily but did nothing more. If it had been Rie who had arrived at the Dragon again after a long absence the lass certainly would have rushed to her and flung her arms about her, but with Nuru Don wasn't as friendly. Rie was her special friend, and while Nuru was her friend, she wasn't as important to Don as Rie was.

"Rie, I need to talk to you." Nuru stumbled over to the bed and sat down next to Rie. "It's about your brother, Talômi. We had a little talk together and I need to tell you everything he said." So she did, and when she had finished she paused for a few minutes to let Rie digest it all, then continued, "Now, Rie, you have to decide him you're going to continue hiding from him or if you're going to let him know where you are... that you're here. Don't ask my advice, don't ask Don's advice, don't as Pio's advice, don't ask..." She paused, searching through her foggy brain for any other friends of Rie. "Well, just don't ask anyone for advice on what you should do, because nobody will give it to you.... it's your decision and you have to decide, and now I'm going to sleep." She lay back on the bed and was instantly fast asleep.

"We don't need to wake her up," said Don quickly. She climbed up onto the bed and stealthily reached into Nuru's dress pocket, bringing out with satisfaction a littl key. "You can just sleep in her room tonight, and I'll sleep in yours. We'll be all mixed up, but that way your brother won't be able to find you." She passed the key to Rie, and took the woman's in return. They left the room together and travelled down the hallway, coming to Rie's room first. Don opened the door and began to walk in, then paused and said over her shoulder, very softly, "Rie, I wish I were in your place. The chance to see my twin brother again... for him to find me and me to find him." Then with a murmured, "Good night," she went into the room, leaving Rie with her thoughts.

Rie stood there a few moments, wondering what to think, and then she turned to go to Nuru's room. She found herself face to face with a hobbit, obviously pregnant, observing her. "Excuse me," she said politely. "I'm Mrs. Robin Green. I won't keep you long, for I can see you'll be wanting to go to bed, but I was wondering if you're a friend of Nuru's?"

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]