View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #468
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine looked to Falco with raised eyebrows as Marenil walked away, and Falco returned the expression.

"You had better teach this overweening steward a lesson but quick, my friend," said the hobbit.

"It would seem you are right."

Eodwine got up and followed Marenil into the kitchen. The man was already speaking to Frodides.

"Marenil," Eodwine called. The man turned. "Once you've grabbed a bite, come back to the alder tree. I want to finish our conversation. I was not finished."

Marenil nodded once. Eodwine turned and slowly walked back to the bench, and waited.

After a few moments, Marenil came back outside. Eodwine met him halfway.

"Marenil, I have made you steward, not my school master. Your task is to see after the affairs of my Hall, not the education of its Eorl. And if you truly believe that my word means nothing, then you must believe the same of your own. Thus there is no point in exacting an oath from you that you will steward this Hall as I see fit rather than as you do."

The old man opened his mouth to protest, but Eodwine continued.

"I am sure that you are a most able steward, but our two minds are as unlike as can be. I did not know this before today. You would try to make me unlearn what I hold most dear to my heart. It shall never be."

Marenil again opened his mouth to protest, but Eodwine continued again.

"So as of this moment you are no longer my steward. You may, of course, remain my guest, if it pleases you; or if you prefer the hospitality of the Queen, your ward's cousin, that can be arranged. What would you?"

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-02-2006 at 05:16 PM.