View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 11:29 AM   #176
Halfir
Animated Skeleton

Halfir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Estel: may I congratulate you on what I can only describe as a bravura performance. While I share neither your philosophic background nor your faith, I cannot but fail to be impressed both by the cogency and the sincerity of your argument.

On a minor point, to answer a question you raised - before I get to the one major one I wish to comment on - I was born and lived in the United Kingdom for 48 years. For the last 12 years I have lived in Thailand. My English peer group venerated the writings of Tolkien - at last a modern epic write had appeared on the scene. Lewis, with regard to his Chronicles of Narnia, was not held in any particualr esteem - a view I still subscribe to - I find him a poor creative artist. I do however share your total bemusement over those who say Harry Potter will replace or outlive LOTR.

You ask: "Why does everyone become touchy when it is the Christians turn to rejoice in the accomplishment of one of their own?"

If people do, and I suppose I am included in the broad sweep of your statement, it is perhaps because they question the motives of some - not all - who are involved in what you describe as Christian rejoicing.

It was another Christian believer - T.S.Eliot - who raised the very basic moral dilemma that causes discomfort for some of us about certain of the posts about Tolkien that have come from Chrisitian believers :
"The last temptation is the greatest treason, to do the right deed for the wrong reason."