View Single Post
Old 06-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Faulty link</b><br><br> Don't think you'll get away cheap with the GW game, though...<br> If they are to sell miniatures in blister packs as they usually do, that Nazgûl will cost at least $7, and a starting box (which they will release in a new version every year ) maybe up to $70.<br> <br> As for the quality of the miniatures, I think the two Gondorian soldiers are plastic miniatures, and the orcs probably two. This explains their relative lack of detail and motion, but in turn means that they are cheaper and easier to convert. The Nazgûl is definitely tin and shows how good designers the guys are. The way his cloak falls, and is wind-swept, is just, well, cool. <br> <br> Starting some months ago, GW began releasing scenery, such as graveyards, villages, fortresses, etc. The graveyard, for example, was well sculpted out of polystrene, and air-brushed which is simple, but very effective for stone surfaces. Such a solid 12&quot;x12&quot; diorama costs between $25 and $40. Middle-earth scenery may fit into that category, and will most probably be 'playable', i.e. have enough space to move the miniatures about.<br> <br> Painting will be interesting. While I am loath to paint whole armies, a handfull of assembled ME miniatures just asks for a brush, be it only the the main miniatures.<br> <br> GW already has a miniature (the 'Bloodthirster' demon) which is inspired by the Balrog of Moria: fiery blade (later an axe like Gothmog), many-thonged scourge etc., and wings. Maybe there will be no Balrog mini, as it is possible that it is too strong for the dynamics of the game.<br> <br> The game dynamics, as given in the preview, remind me of D&amp;D with miniatures (few minis acting in order of initiative). The advantage of this is, of course, that the specific values and qualities of the respective character can be represented better.<br> <br> All's vague for now, but I for my part see this as definitely the best LOTR-movie merchandise. <p>'To open the eternal worlds, to open the immortal eyes of man inwards, into the worlds of thought, into Eternity.'</p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote