View Single Post
Old 10-18-2002, 04:40 AM   #336
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

OK, I’m researching background information on our location and goal. I looked up the names of the cities we are headed for in Foster’s Guide; here is what it says:

Tharbad – City in southern Eriador at the meeting of the Glanduin and Mitheithel. The Old South Road crossed the Mitheithel at a ford here. In TA 2912 Tharbad was ruined by great floods and deserted.

Ost-in-Edhil – The city of the Gwaith-I-Mirdain in Eregion, destroyed in SA 1697 during the War of the Elves and Sauron.

So obviously, those are two separate cities.

A search on the site showed this information (B-W): Tharbad was a harbor built by the Numenoreans. It was used by them for Millenia as they plundered the ancient forests of Eriador for lumber for their great fleets. It was destroyed by great floods and abandoned.

If I understand rightly, our ultimate goal is Ost-in-Edhil, I’m confused by the references to Tharbad. The map I found shows both cities. (I would recommend that we all bookmark this map to keep an eye on our route.) Ost-in-Edhil is on the Glanduin, east of Tharbad, so going to the latter would be taking a detour. Is there a reason for that? Also, as I see it, if we are in Fangorn and going through the Gap of Rohan, which sounds like the best possibility to get past the mountains, then we should be going south, not north.

Now I don’t remember if the rest of you specifically said that you are heading north, but my Taradan/Andros post said that. So I either edit my post, or I take another way over/through the mountains. Have we specified a time of year? Apparently it’s not winter, so maybe I have a good chance; we could perhaps go via Caradhras or take some nameless pass or mountain path known only to the Rangers. If there are no objections, that is what I will do. We do, however, need to clear up the confusion about Tharbad and Ost-in-Edhil before carrying on our journey!

P.S. - Here is Malbeth's prophecy for me today:
Quote:
Look not to coyotes or Woses for an example to follow. Watch the folk of Rhovanion instead.*
OK, I'm looking for those shining examples right here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'