View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 08:51 PM   #74
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Quote:
Perhaps the reason Tolkien's creation resonates so strongly with us is not because of what Tolkien gives us, as much as because we contribute to it.
Good point, davem. One advantage of not being given a detailed analysis of a character's psychological make-up by the author is that we, the readers, can fill in the gaps ourselves. There is no scope to imagine what a character is feeling when we are given direct access to his or her thoughts. And, as you say, our imagination can be assisted in this regard by reference to the characters actions and interactions with others.

Quote:
Faramir knows what's right, morally, ethically, & he will do it - or die trying, because that's actually more important than achieving 'victory' in this world.

In other words, maybe I've supplied that interpretation of Faramir - maybe its not in the text (though I find it difficult to interpret him in any other way, but perhaps that's just me), but because I see Faramir in that way, he becomes more 'real' to me, a more moving & inspiring character.
Don't get me wrong. I have much the same view as Faramir. The clues are there in the text. And I find him to be an inspiring character too. His conversation with Frodo at Henneth Annun includes some of my favourite passages in the book. I was simply saying that I did not see this as giving him any real psychological depth. But then I saw Lyta's post ...

Quote:
I think the test of this ideal within him (here's the psychological depth of Faramir or part of it, at least, drawn through internal struggle) arises when he is in Denethor's presence ... The struggle appears to be drawn in Faramir's desire to please his father and his knowledge that Gandalf's philosophy and views on the disposition of the Ring are in fact more in keeping with his own internalized moral code.
... and was utterly persuaded. Excellent post, Lyta. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]