View Single Post
Old 02-01-2001, 09:18 AM   #21
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>

Windlord:&quot;I've just posted a bracketed version (which has yet to be
read by anyone). I don't think that one's bad. A note at the top of
the post will be enough. Not too commplicated either.

Ilindil: Sorry if I wasn't explicit enough in referring to your new version ,but my comments re: saulotus and 77 in the email of my preliminary draft I sent out a couple of days back , were addressing your revision.
I am not sure if you got it.

The problem I now see w/ brachets is that they won't cover using alternate versions from the same volume. I should have seen this problem before but I didn't.
So in your section G. and in my prelim. draft there is no problem , but as soon as I add a line or word from Annals of Aman [also in X] ineed a whole new et of brackets [this goes for IV and V as well].

Also , so far what the initial 4[ now 3] of us decided was that there would be no creative writing,filling in the gaps or other emendation to the texts, we would use JRRT's words only. a handicap I know but one that keeps the potential for confusion {are we rewriting [no] or editing [yes] the SIlmarillion} at bay.

Durelen: I don't see the need [ or wish fo the near nightmare] of HoME style notation,[ie ultra- elaborate] but I do think we need a simple way of documenting where each part of our sections comes from so that we [and any others ] can get an idea w/ out laborious detective work.

It sounds as if Mithadan will be returning idea's this w/end so hopefully we can reestablish consensus on this matter.

Lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote