View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

The key to me seems to be that Jackson was not setting out to make a mythical film. His purpose was to adapt a book written with mythical and heroic intentions to the screen for a modern-day audience with Hollywood-backing. Hardly a recipe for myth-making.

Bęthberry's example of the shield-surfing is, for me, one of the most telling examples. It grates terribly with me, as I am sure that it does with most fans of the books. But I can understand why it was included. There are, no doubt, those who regard it as one of their favourite moments of the film.

I think that there are moments in the films that might be described as mythical. Certainly the "feel" of them is (the imagery, particularly). And I think that moments such as Gandalf's confrontation with the Balrog, the Ride of the Rohirrim, the scenes at Sammath Naur and the appearance of the Eagles have that sense about them. They certainly raised the hairs on my neck, and got the tear ducts flowing, in a way that no other film has ever done. But, much as I love the films, I think that these moments are a "bi-product" of Tolkien's skill. Had the films been written from scratch (unless by someone with the same skill and purpose) they would have lacked this sense, I am sure.

But what is the bench-mark here? How many films nowadays (or indeed ever) convey such a mythical quality. I do think that these films get about as close as any film that I have ever seen.