View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
As for other forms of 'large', there is the such form of a larger frame, which he uses in Boromir's case. Though, I am not sure, but that is probably more an eludement to his character/mental state and birth, especially how Tolkien compares his height, etc, right next to that of Aragorn via Frodo's observation.

So again, it seems more based upon such as what is used in art history often, the 'psychological portrait' (where the 'inner state' is reflected in the eyes and especially facial form of a person. Done mostly by northern Renaissance artists and later Baroque artists, good example: Rembrandt).
That's an interesting take on the matter, and you could surely make a claim for it. However, I feel like Tolkien was, at least in Boromir's case, mainly referring to his physical larger frame. He wanted to clearly distinguish that Aragorn was just a bit taller, yet Boromir was "broader and heavier in build". Even beyond the text of LotR, Tolkien shows further interest in the matter of height between the two in an unpublished note, located at the Bodleian Library in Oxford-

“Aragorn, direct descendant of Elendil and his son Isildur, both of whom had been seven feet tall, must nonetheless have been a very tall man…, probably at least 6 ft. 6; and Boromir, of high Númenorean lineage, not much shorter (say 6 ft. 4).”

So, I do not really think Tolkien meant to reference Boromir's character/mental state and birth while describing his build.