View Single Post
Old 08-19-2000, 05:14 PM   #9
shieg

Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Project is still alive...

Well I am new to the project here, but keenly interested. Now when I was reading the debates as to how to put together the revised Silmarillion, I hear numerous discussions on whether or not we should add to the stories. Not having been involved I don't want to fully weigh in, however, maybe if we leave the stories in somewhat their raw state and just include a brief introduction and perhaps a commontary afterwards we could sidestep the whole issue. I teach English (at a jr. high) and one of the interesting things I've noticed is that in fiction (especially in SciFi) is that it is now okay to play with prose in different ways. Should we not portray the materials as fragments that we have only incomplete records of? The Silmarillion could become a different type of book, one that doesn't follow the common structure of literature. If done correctly the story would have a sense of wonder from the discovery of tales from thousands of years ago. Of couse there would be conflicting and incomplete tales- but what tales they are! Just as we do not have a full account of the fall of Doriath after &quot;the Wanderings of Hurin&quot; we could lamment the loss and wonder what would have been revealed when Thingol took up the necklace of the dwarves and clasped it around his neck. The revised Silmarillion will be harder to read than the LotR (but it is already), but it might be a structurally more advanced one (I don't mean that in a judgemental way at all) Let's play with the prose and see what happens. I bet if we had the stories downloaded and a group got together for a long weekend or week! we could rough out a revised Silmarillion on a disk for people to look over. Once again, this may have all be discusssed already, but I would love to hear more from the group here.

</p>