View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 01:55 AM   #251
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Maén was felt a strange sense of relief spread over her as she was alone in the room which Arriten had assigned her for the night. She ran a hot bath and lay in it for some time taking deep breaths. She was not happy to be in Arridan’s home, even if his father was here. She knew that Arridan had loved her name more than herself, she had always known that and no matter how hard Arridan had tried, he could not hide this well enough.

As the bath water got colder and colder Maén decided that it was best to get out before she caught a chill. She had brought with her a bare minimum of luggage, but what she did bring were dresses fit for a lady. This was one tradition that Maén did not resent. She dressed in a blood red one which she had brought with her and arranged her golden hair on her head and lay back on the bed until there was a sharp knock at the door. “Come in” she called suspecting that it would be Arridan to annoy her some more. But to her surprise the dark figure of Carathir entered and bowed deeply.

“I was just wondering Lady, what the custom is to eat with at these places?” he asked. Maén sighed.

“Knives and forks.” She said sitting up.

“Knives, I see.” He said. “Ill go now, and prepare.” And Carathir left.

“Strange lad” said the golden-haired Gondorian before following Carathir into the hallway. He was nowhere to be seen. Maén slowly made her way to the stairs which lead to the rooms of the others. It was then that Maén wondered why her room was so far from the others.

When she walked further she found Roryn looking equally as puzzled as she felt. “Whats wrong with you?” she asked putting her hands on her hips.

“Oh, my dear, Ive just had the strangest conversation.” He said rubbing his head.

“As have I.” sighed Maén sitting on the nearby couch. “Pray tell... No wait. Let me guess. Crystal has finally gone to tell Atharen she is in love with him?”

“How did you guess?” smiled the old ranger.

“Well Roryn my friend, I observe, I know a lot more about most people than they know about themselves. Other than it was half obvious.” She gave a light grin. “How are you holding up?” she asked.

“Not bad, other than I would have caused trouble if I had put an arrow in that Arridan lad of yours.” Roryn said weakly.

“Lets not talk of him for the time being, I intend to spend as less time here as I can. There are some things that need to be worked out though. One, Lysia has a notice that Guriel may have purchased property near here. Arriten may be able to help me find him.”

“And when we do find him, well kill him” said Idruil joining them.

“I do want to thank everyone for their support, you have been wonderful, but why do I get the feeling that Ferethor and his companion Aelimur want to stop me?” Roryn and Idruil exchanged uneasy glances. “No lets not speak of that either.” Ordered Maén “All this scheming will do my head in. Shall we wait for them or shall we go straight to dinner?”

~+~+~+~+~

Carathir did not know exactly why he had gone to ask Maén about dinner, he supposed that it was Lysia’s force of habit. It was not long after he himself had gotten lost in the many corridors of the manor that he found himself eavesdropping on a conversation between two men.

“Surely she hasn’t come to take me back father?” said one. Obviously Arridan.

“She’s come after the traitor, son.” Said Arriten

“How do you know?”

“I do, she’s always been like that. Never cross an Il Galoth unless you are sure that you can kill them. No, she will find what she came for, eventually, and we may just help her.” Carathir wondered what they both meant by this but by the time he had decided he did not know both men were gone.