View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 02:07 PM   #54
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
I don't mean to suggest that I think the movies would work better -- or that it would even be possible to tell the story -- from a very severely limited, single POV.

Clearly we need to be able to move around to follow the diverging storylines. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have -- maybe I can just sum up by saying that in any given scene or sequence the filmmakers must choose a point of view, and it's interesting to me that so far, the strongest POV character is Gandalf. I'll try to wait for future sequences to analyze how or if this choice significantly impacts the effect of the narrative.

EDIT: Just wanted to add a thought to illustrate the concept I'm trying to get across: Jackson limits his POV in at least one important way -- we never cut to scenes of Sauron in Barad-dûr, laying his plans for war or to get back the Ring or whatever. On the other hand, he opts for a less restricted POV than Tolkien does by having scenes of Saruman laying his plans, hatching orcs, giving speeches to his troops, etc., and in RotK by having scenes from the POV of Gothmog and his attacking Orc legions.

It'll be interesting later on to look at the effects of these choices. What is gained by these new scenes? What is lost? And so on.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote