View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #57
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
It’s little details like this that show the love and dedication the movie makers have for this film.
I'm not going to get into the debate of POV/narration, for me what was done worked.

I do like The Shire, and its inhabitants and how they were portrayed. A bit over-the-top but I think that is to establish very cleary that when the 4 hobbits find themselves later on this quest and doing what they came to do, that it is so out of nature and character for a hobbit to do those things. Out of the nine companions of the Fellowship, the 4 hobbits changed and grew the most.

Of this sequence, I like the theatre version better than the extended. It added unneccessarily to what was already established, hobbits are simple- carefree kind of people. Except I did like the scene where Bilbo can't find the ring. Now that "addict" moment really showed how strong the attachment to the ring is and makes more of an understanding why it was so hard for Bilbo to give it up.

There have been issues raised about the dumbing down of Pippin and in particular Merry, that I'd like to address. In terms of book to movie, in the book at the time of the party, Bilbo is 111, Frodo is 33, Pippin is 17, Merry is 18(I think) and Sam is a few years older (like early 20's) then the Frodo and company leave The Shire for Rivendell 17 years later making Frodo- 50, Pippin-32 and so forth.

Since P.J. decided not portray the 17 years difference and since there really is no age given the hobbits (that I can recall), the only thing we have to go on is that Sam is old enough to get married (in the end), Frodo is "grown" since he's left on his own, and Merry and Pippin are younger than Frod and Sam.

What's my point? I think Merry and Pippin weren't dumbed down, just shown how they probably did behave in their late teen years.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 10-31-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote