Thread: Wood Elves
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
What has always worried me about Gildor is that he names his company 'Exiles', when the Ban was lifted after The War of Wrath. Some Noldor, notably Galadriel refused to return.....is Gildor a sef-imposed exile? therefore he can return when he takes the fancy.
Galadriel was still under special ban for her role in the Rebellion but I think Gildor is stating his status as an Exile (of the Etyañgoldi) rather than meaning he is still not allowed to return. As you noted, he is tarrying -- possibly at the request of Elrond?

Quote:
I remember reading in HoME that Finrod replaced Inglor as the name of a son of Finarfin, doesn't Inglorion translate as Son of Inglor/Finrod in that case it is another of Tolkien's slight errors, as Finrod didn't have any children. Part of Finrod's Quenya name is Ingoldo, anyone have any answers?

Tolkien went back and forth as to whether or not Inglor/Finrod Felagund had children: it seems that at the time of writing The Lord of the Rings (or at least in the time 'surrounding' this general period) Inglor Felagund had a wife and children, and in notes to the QS manuscript even Gil-galad was his son. In early workings of the text Of The Rings of Power And The Third Age Galadriel was a daughter of Felagund the fair and the elder sister of Gil-galad.

In any case, Tolkien hadn't published that Felagund was named Inglor, though he muddled the picture of the first edition a bit, because there 'Finrod' was Galadriel's father and Felagund her brother.

Anyway, Gildor as the son or descendant of an Elf named Inglor isn't necessarily problematic. In the revised conception one might argue that House of Finrod should have been revised to House of Finarfin, but I would suggest that Nos Finrod perhaps became more known, or more 'popular' in Middle-earth, due to the circumstances (Finarfin remained in Aman), and also the popularity of Finrod Felagund, Friend of Men.

Last edited by Galin; 01-12-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote