View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I still haven't seen any of the TH films, but my feeling regarding them being done is without doubt positive.

From what I can tell, the LOTR movies were at least passable as adaptations in some isolated moments, despite my overall disdain for them. I do credit them also with introducing to Tolkien a new generation who might otherwise have had no encounter with the man's works in any form, and some of them were moved to get the books.

With The Hobbit though, PJ seems to have gone into CGI/slapstick/pleasethemasseswhocaresaboutthebookfans overdrive. Whatever restraint he had in the first trilogy is long gone, perhaps motivated by his previous successes with shield-surfer Legolas, a Merry and Pippin who made me think of another famous duo, and a beefed up part for a "modern" Arwen, who can motivate her man to walk the Paths of the Dead, and still save his bedraggled rear when he's lost and hurt in the wilds of Rohan.

Like I said, I'm not overly fond of PJ's LOTR project, but what I've read here and other places just makes TH look like everything that stuck on my craw from LOTR got blown up like the Deeping Wall, and thrown in my face like a slap from Sméagol's nice fishess.