View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #101
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Dain, I tried to get something going re dwarves, but ... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
I do not think that Boromir's belief (that the Ring could be used to defend Gondor and fight Sauron) alone would have caused him to attack Frodo for it. The Ring worked upon Boromir's mind, encouraging his belief in this respect to the stage where he was provoked into a very uncharacterisic act. As for Gollum, he had no idea of the power of the Ring when he first laid eyes on it, and yet murdered his freind for it. Again, the Ring was calling to him.
Yes! Now, picture a group of diverse types of people at a social event. One looks with lustful urge at the wine glasses on a tray. Another eyes a pack of cigarettes on a table with wistful longing. Another spots someone sexually attractive across the room and plots perversities. Yet another sees a well-known wealthy person and moves toward him/her with the intention of picking his/her pockets. Over there you see a white person with an expression of disgust as she/he watches every move of a mixed race couple. In the corner stands a person in dire straits and feeling sorry for himself/herself looking longingly at another person who has poise and exudes self-confidence. And that one that left to go to the bathroom is opening up the medicine cabinet to see what's inside, taking items off the shelf and checking them out. Last, there is a person tapping his/her foot impatiently, giving short shrift to those attempting to exchange pleasantries while looking at the clock on the wall and harrumphing over the many things she/he needs to do. I think you get the picture.

Everyone in that room sees something that draws their attention and sends them into a kind of intense reverie. What Tolkien did was lump all of those things, and myriad others, into one thing--the One Ring. One Ring to find us all and in the darkness bind us.

Try it next time you go outside. See how often the One appears and who puts it on.

Garsh, I'd just intended to do a little thing and I made a big production of it. I really just wanted to do a short post to see if I successfully copief an html image to "my picture" here at Barrow-Downs. If someone would be so kind as to send me PM on the process I'd be obliged for your kindness. I found an image on the Google image site and have only a vague idea what to do with it.

Peace!

Oh, wait a minute ....
Quote:
No ringbearer (save Tom) will ever be fully cured.
Correct in saying no Ringbearer will ever be cured--genuine addiction is by definition and nature never cured, simply arrested. Bombadil did hold the Ring to look at it, then tossed it into the air, then gave it back to Frodo. Does this make him a Ringbearer? He could have swallowed it and it wouldn't have affected him--that's not the point. It doesn't seem correct to term Tom a Ringbearer for the half minute or so he spent with it. A picayune point, perhaps, but it's late and I tend to pheel piqued when I'm phagged out. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Peace.