View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 08:47 AM   #37
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Yes, Inkling, I am sure that is what Turambar is referring to. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It uses the alliterative and stress patterns of Old English poetry.

Oh, I agree--it is indeed difficult to type in text, particularly with 'uncooperative' paperback texts. Can I make a suggestion, however?

Typing the line breaks separately, as if they were different stanzas, makes it difficult to see the alliteration and understand the stress patterns. Would it be possible to intersperse the lines, putting the second half of each line after the first half, so that the rhythm is maintained?

I think this could be done by cutting and pasting each second half line between the lines of the first 'stanza'.

In the example I gave above of Tolkien's translation of Beowulf, the lines do not correlate well. I will try to fix that later today, so reading the translation will have a better 'flow.'

Bethberry