View Single Post
Old 05-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #30
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am lagging very very far behind, but still trying to follow. I enjoy reading all the interesting posts, but there is hardly anything left for me to say.

I notice how Gimli is here portreyed as valiant and hardy, not at all the laughing stock they made of him in the movie! Legolas respects him, and his words
Quote:
... and dwarves are strange folk. (...)But you comfort me, Gimli, and I am glad to have you standing nigh with your stout legs and your hard axe. I wish there were more of your kin among us.
speak of quite a different relationship than the silly (and really quite mean) joke about "shall I describe it to you or shall I fetch a box.?" in the movie. .
And it is the counterpart to Gimli's words when entering Fangorn in "The White Rider"
Quote:
...though Elves of any kind are strange folk. But you comfort me. Where you go, I will go."
Gamling and his men also estimate Gimli and ask his help to block the culvert where the orcs had come through.
And Gimli saves Eomer's life, no less!
Also, in the hunt after the orcs with Aragorn and Legolas, it is never said that he lagged behind because of short legs. On the contrary, dwarves are very enduring.(and not just boasting to be so)