View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #130
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
"We was trying to drive down from the cabin, but we didn't have no gas."
I think the correct grammatical construction of that dialect is "ditt'n have no gas." Yes, it's actually "correct" within its dialect - which is generally known in the States as Cumberland, and it's spreading far and wide with the ever increasing popularity of "country music" in this Hyar kuntree. I can't stand the stuff myself, so into Mordor it goes.

Funny, about not being allowed to play in Gondor rpg's, I wasn't allowed to either, but got invited by an rpg'er and nobody, no mod's not nobody, said a peep about it. Kud we mebbe dyoo it hyar in Middle Arth Marth?

My personal pet peev in regard to the English language is the misuse of "myself" as a kind of false modesty, allowing speakers to get away with placing themselves before others in their sentences. For example. "The guarantee I just described applies to myself and Ted here." Maybe it's that they have a hunch that they don't know whether to use 'I' or 'me' and so cop out with this 'myself' baloney. It's a simple rule, really: the above sentence should be rendered "The guarantee I just described applies to Ted and me." Not Ted and I. If you remove the "Ted and" from the sentence (and you know anything about grammar), you know which it ought to be.

So to Mordor with the "myself and".
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote