View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 08:05 AM   #26
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
I know that that is stated in the Quenta but, does a proud elf, like Thingol would go back on his word?
Would that fit with a later Silmarillion?
Well, we don't know the details of the argument; it's possible that Thingol felt justified in scanting the promised reward. Thingol is, and remains in the later writings, a proud and sometimes short-sighted character. I could well imagine him finding some justification for refusing payment to the Dwarves - perhaps he suspects their treachery and means to punish their insolence, or something like that. Of course we need not give any such justification; what matters is that justification of this kind is conceivable. Moreover, the Q30 (while not exactly a mature work) is significantly more mature than the Lost Tales, and therein we find the last account of the quarrel outside of vague references to it. I would rather try to follow it than the Lost Tales.

Quote:
What if they were in the hunt and they heard of the dwarf army and decided to go to war?
I suppose that could work - it has the virtue, anyway, of explaining why the king would ride forth so rashly. But I'm still hesitant. The hunt, along with the rest of the story in the Tale of the Nauglafring, was rejected and replaced with various new stories. Now we find those new stories unsatisfactory - but does that mean that elements like the hunt can be reinstated?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote