View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
Vala-06
Eönwë, the banner-bearer and herald of Manwë [, whose might in arms is surpassed by none in Arda].
Cf the text of CRT

quote:
"The words in the published text (p. 30) concerning Eönwë, 'whose might in arms is surpassed by none in Arda', were an editorial addition, made in order to prepare for his leadership of the hosts of the West at the Great Battle (The Silmarillion pp. 251 - 2). For the end of the Elder Days there is scarcely any material from the period following The Lord of the Rings."

We need to decide what to do with this insert of CRT.
I'm almost of two minds regarding this bit. It seems an almost unnecessary addition, since foreknowledge of Eönwë's prowess doesn't really add much to the reading of the text. However, it also does not detract anything from it, either. On the one hand, it does add a small bit of clarity for the later events. On the other, it introduces information that might be considered superfluous.
Personally, I would say that the deletion of this particular insert would be the way to go, since it seems to be entirely an addition by CRT.