View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #15
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
NA-EX-34.5: I think that "... and ... and ..." isn't that good. What about:
Quote:
[NA-EX-34.5[/b]But still Túrin would not return to Doriath; and Beleg yielding to his love against his wisdom remained with him, and did not depart /, but returned with the men to Bar-en-Danwedh/, and in that time he laboured much for the good of Túrin's company. ...
Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
Also, I thought that our general policy was to use single quotes for speech instead of double.
That's good to know. I think it was discussed before my time and I did never asked but switched forward and backward some times.

Quote:
I have become a bit troubled by the curse of Mim upon Androg. If Androg survives the battle, then the curse cannot be fulfilled. But it seems that at the time the curse was written about, it was most certainly intended to be fulfilled. I think there is a strong case for taking the statement that Androg survived as contradicting the curse of Mim. We must decide, then, from among the following:

1. Androg's survival does not contradict the curse.

2. The curse is to be excised from the narrative.

3. Androg's survival must be taken as a projected change that cannot be implemented.
Why should the cruse not be fullfilled if Androg survives the battle upon Amon Rudh? On the contary it was also never told how he died there. I think he could survie that battle and later die a violent death acording to the curse.

NA-EX-28.5: Your addition is good, even if I do not think it necessary to make it perfectly clear what was meaned. But you seem to have still some doubts about the inclusion?

NA-TI-07.5: Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
In other words, as I see it, the statement that they went south must be treated as an indivisble unit; I don't think we'd be justified in taking only part of that version.
I can see your point. But still it sound odd to me first to tell all about the way of Turin and his band and then speak of Beleg starting on thier track in the same area of which we had just told that Túrin had returned to. So what about:
Quote:
Then all those that were of the People of Hador gathered to him, and took him as their captain; and the others with less good will agreed. And at once he led them away out of that country.{ 10}NA-TI-07.2 <NA; note 11 {they}They remained in the Vale of Sirion, and {indeed that they were not far from their previous haunts at the time of the Orc-raid on the homes of the Woodmen. In one tentative version they} went away southwards and came to the country {"}above the Aelinuial and the Fens of Sirion{"}>.
Many messengers had been sent out by Thingol to seek Túrin within Doriath and in the lands near its borders; ...
... "Alas!" he cried. "To well did I teach this child of Men craft in wood and field! An Elvish band almost one might think this to be." But they for their part became aware that they were trailed by some tireless pursuer, whom they could not see, and yet could not shake off; and they grew uneasy.{ 11}
NA-TI-07.5 <NA; note 11 {but}And with the men becoming discontented in that {"}harbourless land{"}/ above the Aelinuial and the Fens of Sirion/, Túrin was persuaded to lead them back to the woodlands south of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] where he first encountered them.>
Not long afterwards, as Beleg had feared, the Orcs came across the Brithiach, ...
If that does not go in your oppinion, I think that this would be as fare as I would go:
Quote:
Then all those that were of the People of Hador gathered to him, and took him as their captain; and the others with less good will agreed. And at once he led them away out of that country.{ 10}
Many messengers had been sent out by Thingol to seek Túrin within Doriath and in the lands near its borders; ...
... "Alas!" he cried. "To well did I teach this child of Men craft in wood and field! An Elvish band almost one might think this to be." But they for their part became aware that they were trailed by some tireless pursuer, whom they could not see, and yet could not shake off; and they grew uneasy.{ 11}
NA-TI-07.5 <NA; note 11{they}They had remained in the Vale of Sirion, and {indeed that they were not far from their previous haunts at the time of the Orc-raid on the homes of the Woodmen. In one tentative version they went away}had gone southwards and {came}come to the country {"}above the Aelinuial and the Fens of Sirion{"} but the men becoming discontented in that {"}harbourless land{"}, Túrin was persuaded to lead them back to the woodlands south of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] where he first encountered them.>
Not long afterwards, as Beleg had feared, the Orcs came across the Brithiach, ...
All the issues I did not comment on, I agree with Aiwendils versions/comments.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote