View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #25
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
However, just accepting one of the Seven was enough to assure a dwarfs doom, in this respect Sauron was akin to his old lord Melkor in that whatever they could not utterly dominate, they ruined.
I’m afraid I have to disagree with this. Many King’s of Durin’s Folk possessed their ring and we don’t know of anything happening to them personally. I’d have to assume that kings of other Houses had similar experiences.

Quote:
By no means were all Dwarves greedy to the point of evil, but few were probably as free of the Dwarven lust for gold and riches as Gimli. Bilbo's companions were, by and large, a fairly likeable bunch, but they were certainly not perfect (indeed, neither was Gimli). We might assume that they were fairly representatvie of the majority of Dwarvenkind, or at least those of the Western lines.
It is a bit of a pity that we don’t have more information about the Great Dwarves in the First Age. The most memorable experience the Elves had with the Firebeards of Nogrod was not…errr…positive. However, the Broadbeams were portrayed in a generally more positive (or at least agreeable light). I’m sure that somebody will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that Azaghâl was the only named great dwarf about whom we possess any personal information. We are told of Telchar and Gamil Zirak, but don’t know what they were like.