View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #48
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I don't see the need to put this stuff in at all. If I was adapting it to film I would basically skip the whole process of the Rohirrim getting to Gondor. The only thing I would put in is the Rohirrim receiving the news, a brief scene explaining why Merry rides with Eowyn and that is it. The next we see of them would be the glorious arrival at Minas Tirith.

Why do the logistical problems need to be included at all? They aren't interesting in the context of a film and as we saw in the theater, the attempt to replace this with something more "dramatic" was horrid.
Well, I'm talking about that in the context of changing the kind of obstacles the characters encounter. And I do believe in this case there needed to be genuine doubt of whether the Rohirrim would show up at the siege in time- I just don't think "Theoden threatens to take his toys and go home" was the best way to create it.

But yes, more broadly speaking, you can question why they had to throw up quite so many "roadblocks" given the films' shorter timeframe.