View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A more general question: Is it “Nienna” or “Niënna” that we use? And in the same direction is it “Lórien” or “Lóriën”?

I will give VT-LT-14 another go:
Quote:
VT-LT-12b<LT So fair were these abodes and so great the brilliance of the trees of Valinor that {Vefantur}[Námo] and {Fui}[Vairë] his wife and his sister Nienna of tears might not endure to stay there long, but fared away far to the northward of those regions, where beneath the roots of the most cold and northerly of the Mountains of Valinor, that rise here again almost to their height nigh {Arvalin}[Avathar], they begged Aulë to delve them a hall. Wherefore, that all the {Gods}[Valar] might be housed to their liking, he did so, and they and all their shadowy folk aided him. Very vast were those caverns … hungers and mishaps, diseases and blows dealt in the dark, cruelty and bitter cold and anguish and their own folly bring them here; and {Fui}[Námo] reads their hearts.>
Quote:
[Wickedness; Artist; no. 32; p. 37]
Wickedness
VT-LT-14<LT {for she}[But Niënna] labored {rather} at the distilling of salt humors whereof are tears>. VT-LT-15 <Q30 She dwells alone. Pity is in her heart, and mourning and weeping come to her; shadow is her realm and her throne hidden. For her halls are west of West, nigh to the borders of the World and the Darkness>[u].[/b]
That is near to the passage we used in the Valaquenta but not exactly the same:
Quote:
Mightier than Estë is Nienna, sister of Vala-04.2 {the Fëanturi}<Vq2 Námo>; she dwells alone. She is acquainted with grief, and mourns for every wound that Arda has suffered in the marring of Melkor. So great was her sorrow, as the Music unfolded, that her song turned to lamentation long before its end, and the sound of mourning was woven into the themes of the World before it began. But she does not weep for herself; and those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope. Vala-04.3 Her halls are west of West, upon the borders of the world; and she comes seldom to the city of Valimar where all is glad. She goes rather to the halls of Mandos, which are near to her own; and all those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom. The windows of her house look outward from the walls of the world.
VT-LT-04: We have in that addition from LT an occurrence of Outer Lands. But the change to Middle-earth is not that easy. The passage made it in that wording into Sil77. I suggest:
Quote:
But Manwë Súlimo, highest and holiest of the Valar, sat upon the borders of the West, forsaking not in his thought the {Outer }Lands[ of Middle-earth]. For his throne was set ...
magic: I have looked that up more generally, and if we want to eliminate the word when ever the Valarrian or Elvish 'magic' is meant, we will get much more problematic cases in the poems. But I am willing to go that way.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote