View Single Post
Old 07-29-2001, 08:36 PM   #73
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: More comments

Tar-Elenion,

I also have some such vague recollection as you describe about Turor's height in Gondolin or maybe something about Túrin. Wherever the passage exists, if it does, it is not in the obvious places in the commentary on either of the full tales of Tuor.

Aiwendil:

<u> On the names of Gondolin.</u>

If will try to summarize the current state of discussion and add what I can.

Acceptable:

Gondolin, Gondobar, and [/i]Loth[/i] are fine as they stand, being excellent Sindarin and having the same meanings as their Gnomish originals.

Later Gondothrimbar can replace early Gondothlimbar. It is a form found in the &quot;Etymologies&quot; and is good Sindarin. True, Gondothlim is replaced by a very different form Gondolindrim. However Gondothrim also appears in &quot;Etymologies&quot; and it doesn't matter whether it should be considered an alternate form existing alongside Gondolindrim or a form (almost?) only used as part of Gondothrimbar.

Small difficulty:

Gar Thurian 'Place-Secret' does not work properly in later Sindarin, however the &quot;Etymologies&quot; gives a name of Gondolin Garth(th)oren 'Fort-Frenced', which is almost certainly Tolkien's replacement form. Since both form and meaning can stand, I believe it should be used. I would keep the meaning 'fenced', rather than imagine it being interpreted as an Ilkorin (= Northern Sindarin) form as this involves less supposition and no difficulties. Tolkien gives us both the new form and the new meaning, and we might as well use them.

Major problems:

Gwarestrin is almost valid (which is something like being almost pregnant). Gwar appears nowhere else but in Amon Gwareth/Gwared, but that is enough. It stands. Estrin is explained clearly under Gwarestrin in BoLT 2, Appendix:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> A late entry in GL gives estirin, estirion, estrin 'pinnacle', beside esc 'sharp point, sharp edge'. The second element of this word is tiri(o)n see I.238 ( Kortirion).<hr></blockquote>The entry Kortirion in Bolt 1, Appendix, gives:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> The word tirion 'a mighty tower, a city on a hill' is given in QL under root TIRI 'stick up', with tinda 'spike', tirin 'tall tower', tirios 'a town with walls and towers'. There is also another root TIRI, differing in the nature of the medial consonant, with meaning 'watch, guard, keep; look at, observice', whence tiris 'watch, vigil', etc. In GL are tir- 'look out for, await', tirin (poetic form tirion) 'watch-tower, turret', Tirimbrithla 'the Tower of Pearl' (see Silmarilli).<hr></blockquote>In both &quot;Etymologies&quot; and in Road Goes Ever On the Quenya form Tirion is cited as deriving from the stem TIR- and meaning &quot;great watch-tower&quot;. This is actually better for meaning. The Noldorin (= Sindarin) counterpart given in &quot;Etymologies&quot; is tirith, but that is obviously not the exact cognate. So -tirion, -tirin, -trin can stand either as a true exact cognate (used poetically?), or a borrowing from Quenya. Its use here is well explained in QS77 &quot;Of the Noldor in Beleriand&quot;:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> ... so that Gondolin upon Amon Gwareth became fair indeed and fit to compare even with Elven Tirion beyond the Sea.<hr></blockquote>Instead of Kortirion we now have Gwar-tirion or Gwar-trin.

But what of the element esc- 'sharp point, edge'. I find it nowhere later. It does seem to have been replaced by EK-, EKTE- 'spear', found in Tolkien final etymologies of Ecthelion and Egamloth in The War of the Jewels for example. So what would the form be? In &quot;Etymologies&quot; from EKTE- Tolkien gives the nouns Q ehte 'spear' and N aith spear-point. So either ek or original ekt- + tirion worn down to trin ought to give eithrin.

(The correspondence of ai] in monosyllables or final syllables to ei elsewhere is normal Sindarin. Compare Q tehta with S andaith 'long mark' from ann + * taith to the same element in teithant 'he drew' on the Moria Gate inscription.)

So a postulated Sindarin form for early Gnomish Gwarestrin is Gwareithrin. Another prossibility is to make it a recent compilation from aeg which Tolkien refers to in Ecthelion and Egamloth and so the form become Gwaraegdrin with lenition of t to d. I believe both are valid forms. So, three choices are to keep the Gwarestrin as possibly valid, replace it by Gwareithrin, or replace it by Gwaraegdrin. I set these forms here for further discussion.

A fourth possibility is to replace Gwarestrin by another name altogother, one we know is valid.

Loth-a-ladwen is early Gnomish. The form ladwen ends like uthwen 'escape' and faidwen 'release, freedom'; so -wen may be a normal genundative or abstract ending of some sort. But do such ending -wen appears in later Sindarin to our knowledge.

One might take ladwen as an early compound from the stems LAT- 'lie open' (which is found in Tumladen and almost certainly in imlad 'valley' and Lithlad 'Ashen Plain') + GWEN 'greenness, freshness' and understand a basic meaning something like 'meadow'. If an early compound the gw would have changed to simple w ( latgwen to ladwen) and not be affected by the later change of gw to b found normally with earlier initial gw in Sindarin. I don't at all believe this etymology, but it is one I think acceptable and would probably be one theorized if ladwen did appear in a later text. Another possibility is to use the adjectival form laden (use normal correction from the Noldorin lhaden in the &quot;Etymologies&quot as a noun.

For the preposition a which disappears after BoLT we could substitute Sindarin na which seems to have the same meaning. So possible forms are Loth-na-ladwen, Loth-na-laden, Loth-a-laden or the original Loth-a-ladwen.

We can also replace one or both of these forms by ones totally different. We have three correct names referencing Gondolin not appearing among the seven: Gond-dolen 'Hidden Rock', Ardholen 'Realm-Hidden', and Gondoth 'Stone-fort'

The last of these may not have been intended as a true use-name, but rather an intermediate name to explain the etymology of Gondothrim and Gondothrimbar. In BoLT Gondothlim is gond 'stone' + hoth 'folk' + lim 'many' whereas the later form is gond 'stone' + ost 'fortress' + rim 'host'.

Ardholen is almost certainly ardh 'realm, kingdom' + dolen 'hidden'. See the index to QS77:<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Hidden Kingdom** Name given to both Doriath ..., and to Gondolin, ...<hr></blockquote>In Tuor &quot;Hidden Kingdom&quot; is always capitalized but &quot;hidden city&quot; is not. Tolkien introduces the form Ardholen in a discussion of by-names used for Doriath 'Land of the Fence', and then mentions parenthetically &quot;(which was also applied to Gondolin)&quot;. It is likely that it would have been more accurate to write &quot;(which was also applied to Turgon's secret realm)&quot;, since its meaning is unsuitable to refer to the city of Gondolin alone. The Hidden Kingdom contained other guardian fortresses (of which we see seven in the Way of Escape), mines hidden in the mountains, almost certainly farms and orchards, and so forth. Tolkein avoids calling Gondolin a kingdom, I believe, but does refer to the Hidden Kingdom and Turgon as the Hidden King, and his people as the Hidden People.

But Gondost and Gond-dolen are available as names of the city.

I'm not recommending anything here for these two last city names. Just laying forth the data and pushing it around and seeing what can be done. Of the these major problems nothing seems right to me yet, or I guess I would not classify them as major problems.

Elemmacil/Ecthelion

On &quot;chief of the guard&quot;, &quot;captain of the guard&quot;, &quot;Warden of the Great Gate&quot; there is no certainty it seems. I would assume &quot;chief&quot; and &quot;captain&quot; are equivalent terms, and &quot;captain&quot; takes priority with us. Elemmacil reports to no-one at any of the other gates save the last, so is perhaps chief of the guards for all seven gates. Yet though Ecthelion is &quot;Warden of the Great Gate&quot; not Warden of the Gates, he appears to be Elemmacil's superior.

Of course there is only one gate in FG. In Tuor the &quot;chief of the guard&quot; has been broken into two persons, and one of them identified with Echthelion. Probably each of the other six gates had its own warden, all reporting to the &quot;Warden of the Great Gate&quot;. The charge of the wardens would be normal maintainance and providing support for the guards. And the guards would report to Elemmacil who also reports to the &quot;Warden of the Great Gate&quot;. There's no definite answer though as to who says what in FG other than whether words seem to better fit Elemmacil or Ecthelion.

</p>
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote