View Single Post
Old 03-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #42
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say that my favorite charactr so far in my RPGs would be Narwen, in "Holiday in the Sun." She's tough, makes her own decisions, and is evil!

For some reason, playing evil characters has more appeal to me. It may be because that in almost every science fiction TV show I've seen, or in any TV show I've seen, the good guys are sooooooo stupid! They are attacked by the bad guys countless times, they finally capture them, and they kill them, right? Nooooo. They let them go, on the premise that they will redeem themselves. Evil people, I have seen, can be more intelligent. They kill their enemies! They make smart plans! They have cooler weapons and stories!

Though, saying that, some people have exceptionally well thought out good guys. They have well developed personalities, are intelligent and think on their feet, and don't hesitiate to do what they need to do.

Nevertheless, some bad characrters are horribly clichéd. The sweep around with grandiose ideas, and have huge egos. Their plans fail miserably, and they are overly dramatic. This sort of bad guy is not well thought out at all, and becomes a stereotype. Bad characters have to be thought out, and have a certain mix of evil and rightiousness that is sometimes hard to achieve. I'm still working on it.

But back to Narwen. Narwen has been my favorite character to write so far because of her unique position. Being a female corsair, she has to constantly be talking tough, looking tough, taking command, because if she doesn't, she'll be stomped. She has to defeat all the misconceptions surrounding females to suceed. Also, she is a skilled warrior, so her fights are fun to write. And, in this "evil" persona, I can blow off some steam by writing.

Even though she is not particularly good, she still has morals, though this is something strongly contested by my father, after he read a post where I killed someone. But contrary to appearances, she does have a heart, she just can't let it show very much, lest she be called weak. That's why she's my favorite.
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote