View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #44
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
For me, the issue is a difficult one within the context of the perspective presented to us by Tolkien - precisely because of that perspective (ie single God being the foundation of Good).
Perhaps that concept has to be accepted, as we are in a different world here and applying our own perceptions might cause problems in that world. Maybe we have to accept that in Arda there is one God, whether we believe in Him or not. Or do we?

I might argue that much of what is 'good' in Middle Earth comes from the humblest people themselves, the Hobbits. Are they being guided by a greater force, or are they simply being 'good' because that is how they are, that is what they have learned? There is no belief system in Middle Earth, so how could they have learned that this was Eru's will? Who taught them this? What on Middle Earth does Tolkien mean by this?

Not only are the men with the white coats coming running, but now the theologists will be after me. These are difficult and dangerous questions, indeed, but I'm fascinated by exactly what the nature of Eru was intended to be. If I knew that, I might be able to decide if Orcs are inherently evil or not in the context of Arda.