View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #97
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
In reply to some comments on Serkis Gollum a while back, I'd like to take this thread on a short detour if it's OK.

I first was led into the world of Tolkien via the Cartoon Bahski version of LoTR when I was a ten year old. That is where I have picked up the chracters' voices inside my head.

So when I read LOTR for the first time I had some of the Bashki character voices in my head. Especially Gollum. Peter Woodthorpe did an excellent job as Gollum - his voice being, for me, the definitive version. Also, he replayed his role in the BBC Radio version. Alas, I believe he has now passed on so could not reprise his role.

Also, and I realise this now as I'm reading LOTR to my 8 year old son every night, in that I've also picked up Sam's strong West Country accent from the Cartoon version too. And when I read Strider's words for at least the first few readings I had John Hurt's melodious tones in my head.

So I think it's what version you first heard or saw, be it the Cartoon, radio of Film adaptation, is where you have your 'definitive' version from. So for Gollum's voice to change if Serkis does not reprise his role would not be a great loss to me, even though he did an excellent job in PJ's lotr.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote