View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #60
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Images are still more powerful than words, & thus require more control in their depiction. My memories of the movies are overwhelmingly of violence, bloodshed & beheadings.
This sounds overly-sensitive. In movies with multiple battle scenes, how could there not be violence? There was little real bloodshed in the movies at all, and the beheadings are accurate for what would be very brutal battles.

And anyway, it's accurate to what Tolkien wrote - the books have many beheadings too. Aragorn 'cleaves' the head of the Orc-chieftain in Moria, Ugluk beheads two Orcs in Rohan, Gimli beheads two Orcs at Helm's Deep, and the Mordor Orcs behead fallen Gondorian soldiers to launch their heads into Minas Tirith.

I find it frankly astonishing that you criticise Jackson so often for changing things, and then criticise him when he depicts what Tolkien wrote.

Quote:
My memories of the book are overwhelmingly of beauty, sadness, loss, vast landscapes & the like.
I get the same memories from both the books and the movies.

Quote:
the UK FotR got a PG certificate (for a general audience) & TT & RotK got 12 certificates (for 12 & over).
So? TTT and ROTK are darker movies with a lot more fighting and death, as are their book counterparts.

Quote:
Gladiator was given an 18 certificate.
No it wasn't; look at the IMDb page - it's a 15.

Quote:
I did. By that point the whole thing had descended into farce for me. Actually I cheered when the ugly fat Elf bought it.
No one laughed when I saw it. I also think it's in bad taste to laugh at a soldier's death regardless of whether you agreed with the changes from the books.

Quote:
I don't interpret that as humourous.
So what do you interpret that as? The horror of war? No, it's Tolkien using the severing of limbs as some 'light relief' for Pippin, hence the affectionate sounding 'Good old Merry!'

Last edited by Sir Kohran; 10-23-2007 at 11:48 AM.