View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #375
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Woo finally...now I can actually get defensive.

Quote:
The first is, as Firefoot mentioned, he seems so defensive about his status as a newbie, as if he is using it as a shield to protect himself from worse. He is the one who is always bringing it up.
-Kuru
It's hard not to when you are reminded about your status everywhere you turn...

Quote:
Fair enough... I am mollified, I guess, insofar as I don't know you, so I can't distinguish between newbie covering (especially since, were that so, you could assisted by PMing with the other Wolves)
-Formendacil
Quote:
The people I like at the moment are Form (he's nice to me) and Kent (he's either a good newbie or receives advice via PM. I'm inclined to think the former, given how he reacted to Kuru's accusations of me).
-Agan
After this was when I first mentioned my newbie status
Quote:
But just want to say...I doubt there are any poor intentions, becase I have received a lot of 'hellos' and I've loved my welcome here, but it does come off as a little degrading saying I'm either an innocent newbie or I am receiving constant PM instruction.
My slight frustration, but that was a mix-up of opinion and intention and cleaned up:
Quote:
It may also just be grasping at straws--a newbie making a mistake would be probably the one certain thing to look for in analysing Day 1 prior to the completion of Day 1.

Of course, it's entirely possible you're innocent but just not guilty-looking enough to come across that way. It's a problem we've all had, once or twice, I'm sure.
-Formendacil
And today...
Quote:
If you had seen me in other games, you'd know that I typically like to keep alive players who are newbies, infrequent players, or someone who tends to get Day 1 lynched often for the first Day or two. To me, it's a matter of fairness. It can be more frustrating as first time player, someone who hasn't played in a long time, or someone who always dies early compared to a regular to hardly play before getting killed, especially as a Day One lynch when reasoning behind suspicion isn't all that strong. WW is supposed to be fun and sometimes that situation takes out the fun and discourages the player from joining another game. I've seen it happen before.
-Brinn
I responded in 304. Fea responded to my response later. And in 312 I consided the matter closed:
Quote:
Ok, now I get your logic. I disagree, but I understand the reasons, and I could continue to argue about this in circles, but I will just say...for myself, just know I appreciate the courtesy but please I don't need to be coddled. If you find justification to come after me, than come after me, I can take care of myself.
Greenie adds her tidbit.
Quote:
I have to add to this discussion about granting people a free pass on Day 1 for different reasons. I think it's a sort of nice courtesy not to lynch people on Day 1 in their first game - or in their first game in a very long while - unless there is hard evidence against them. Deciding not to lynch somebody because that said person is enjoyable to play with is a trifle more complicated, since the person voted for instead easily gets a feeling that s/he is not as enjoyable to play with as someone else. And that, in my opinion, is one step away from fair play. After all, this game shouldn't be about lynching those you know little and keeping alive those you know and like best, but instead about letting everyone play and treating everyone fairly regardless of whether they are special favourites of yours or not.
Firefoot thinks that I'm being too defensive about it.
Quote:
My other thought has been that Kent has seemed... a little obsessed... with his newbie status, wanting to be treated fairly and all that... but if he was a wolf I think I'd expect him to play it up differently.
I respond to that.
Quote:
Oh hopefully not sounding obsessed, I guess that's better than ungrateful. I really don't want to sound ungrateful for the courtesy, but playing "fair" just wasn't something I was expecting in werewolf.
And Formendacil later...
Quote:
To be fair, I think I would also be the sort of person to harp on about being a newbie in a game like this if I were to jump in right now--there's a lot of history between some of the players here.
So, how have I used my "newbie" status as a shield? It looks more like people are using it as a crutch to not vote for me and give a reason to vote for everyone else. I have not once initiated the "newbie defense" and only responded to it when asked or when I felt necessary because someone else brought it up.