View Single Post
Old 01-24-2002, 11:07 PM   #36
River Jordan
Animated Skeleton

River Jordan has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

As a professor of Hermeneutics at Pacific Life Bible College, one of the things I stress to my students is the importance, specifically in Bible interpretation, in finding out what the author's intended meaning is. There is an object truth in the Bible, regardless of our subjective thoughts and ideas about it. The same can be said about any work of literature, contrary to what many modern thinkers would say today. To find out the true meaning of any piece of literature, you must look at the author (or creator, if you will) and discover what he intended by his writing of the work. You and I may interpret it in different ways, but there is still only one true meaning, and that is what the author intended. Therefore, I think it is safe to say that when it comes to Lord of the Rings, we must allow Tolkien to speak for himself. He himself has stated that the work is not a planned allegory, therefore it is not. However, having said that, there is still the truth that Tolkien, as a devout Christian, was writing from his particular worldview, which comes through in his writings. There is a Ultimate Good, and an Ultimate Evil, and the servants of the Ultimate Good must fight to defeat the Ultimate Evil, or darkness must reign. How different from the modern new age thought of 'there is no good or evil, we are all one with the cosmic universe!".

In conclusion, I am a big fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - I enjoyed the books, I also enjoyed the movie, and I am also a devout Christian.

Your friendly neighbourhood youth pastor,
Chris *River* Jordan http://www.angelfire.com/bc/YMF

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes." Frodo Baggins

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/YMF