View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 04:34 AM   #63
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree A greater loser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
If things generally went as was and did not veer off course save his not drowning Arvedui would not have been king of any kingdom since Eärnil II could not send help until too late. So he may have outlived them, but he'd have been of "a ragged house" that was "bereft of lordship and dignity" as Denethor said to Gandalf. haha

Then again, as I said before, perhaps this would have been as good an opportunity as any to bring Gondor back under the rule of the Heirs of Isildur through his son with Fíriel by propping her up as the sole survivor of the former king. For himself, I think it'd have been terribly hard.
My own opinion about what might have happened had Arvedui had not drowned is that his chances (or his son's) for the kingship of Gondor would have been even less than before.

Quite apart from the fact that there were descendants of Meneldil still around, in the shape of Eärnil II and his son, Arvedui would have been seen as a greater loser, unable to defend his realm from invaders. This was the fundamental test of any monarch, indeed of anyone holding authority in a state under any form of government: Can you protect your people? The answer in Arvedui's case, compared to Eärnil 's, would seem to be 'No'.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote