View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #75
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Clearly there should never be any rules of any sort because somebody at some point is going to break them.
I am sorry but that is a reductive argument and it just isn't worth going there.

It is a fact that Turgon's Gondolin was doomed to fail. That is part of the tragedy. I find it interesting that he was bidden to build the place and keep it secret even though it would be destroyed along with everyone in the realm apart from a handful of survivors. Was this Eru/the Valar extracting a 'price' from Turgon for being part of the rebellion? I think so. None of the Noldor who left Valinor ultimately succeeded in Middle-earth, even Galadriel was forced eventually to give up her dreams of power and 'diminish'.

As for releasing a prisoner? It has been done before. I seem to remember a certain treacherous Gollum who was allowed to live. What a disaster it would have been for Middle-earth if another attitude had been taken instead. Mercy plays a big role in Tolkien's world. Funnily enough, mercy seems to be much more valued than vengeance or pride. Leaders are defined by their capacity to use it, and also shown to fail when pride takes its place.

But what did I say? I did not suggest that Eol should be released. I merely mentioned that Turgon refused to listen to him. And that is Turgon's main fault. He does not listen. He approaches the situation incorrectly. His pride takes over and he 'decrees' an order to Eol, who is not one of his people. Turgon lacks diplomacy skills in this situation. It's an age old story and one that occurs elsewhere in Tolkien's work - how Pride Comes Before A Fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Frankly, "inherent weakness in the Dark Elves" is not something I'm prepared to allow any credence. I put it down to the prejudice of Noldor translators, reflecting as badly as Calaquendi as on Moriquendi.
Anguirel can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's talking about moral weakness. Those Elves who did not go to Valinor and live under the Light of the two trees are not any less moral than those who did. In fact the story of the Noldor rebellion and the Kinslaying shows that the Noldor really are no more 'moral' than those who never went to Valinor. An Elf's natural 'place' is in Valinor, but the fact of having been there does not mean that an Elf is any better morally.