View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Actually, I don't think of LotR as a 'children's' book - I don't think of TH as a 'children's' story either. The story of TH is a story & the only distinction I make is between good stories & bad stories. TH is a good story.

The reason I wouldn't include it in the Legendarium is that it was not written to be part of it, it was written a an entertainment for his children first & foremost - that doesn't make a 'children's' story, it merely means it was written in what Tolkien thought was a style they would like.

TH is too 'free', too 'unbound' by the 'logical' limits & restrictions set on the Legendarium by Tolkien. It isn't just whimsical (which BoLT is also) but it is also at times patronising (a fault which Tolkien himself acknowledged).

The Elves & Trolls of TH work very well in the self contained world of TH, but viewed in the light of the Eldar & Olog Hai of the Legendarium proper they stick out like a sore thumb.
Sorry but I've just got to argue...again...

I don't think it matters whether or not the original intention was that The Hobbit be part of the Legendarium or not, because it now is a part of the Legendarium. I think this is a case of the Reader being more important than the Author.

I also have to wonder what the 'Legendarium' actually is, as if we are going to be strict about it and go down the Authorial intention route, then LotR is not even a part of it, as it was begun as a follow-up to The Hobbit. In that respect only the Silmarillion is part of the Legendarium. I know davem will argue that LotR rapidly became part of the Legendarium during the process of writing it, as Tolkien included more and more from his Silmarillion writings, but he also did this with The Hobbit, amending the work to include more of that world.

He may not have begun with the intention of it being a part of his 'Legendarium' but that is irrelevant as he made it a part of it, and the readers then went on to accept it as part of it.

As such it serves as the perfect beginning to Tolkien's work, and includes much that helps us to better appreciate the world of LotR e.g. more knowledge of Hobbits, the character of Gollum, and some time spent with Dwarves, who are in comparison quite sidelined in LotR. I often wonder whether it affects our reading if we don't begin with The Hobbit, but that may be one of those questions we will never be able to answer as once we have begun with either TH or LotR, we don;t know what it would have been like otherwise.