View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 08:28 AM   #16
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Umm, yes, but I find that argument unimpressive.

It is true that Sauron in the Second Age, at the height of his power, was greater than Morgoth when he was at the lowest point in his power. However, Morgoth corrupted (and I would say tampered with, but that is debateable) the Balrogs when he was at his peak. They were immensely powerful with their own native strength (and with the power of Morgoth that he put into them, Thingol [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) Morgoth's minions seemed to have a more independent relationship with him, i.e. they were able to survive his fall. The Ringwraiths were chained to Sauron, and they stood and fell by him. This was what prevented their spirits from going to Mandos, but their spirits would be indestructable for the Balrogs in any case. But the forms that the Nazgul wore could be destroyed, and I think a spirit that was only slighly less powerful than Sauron in origin would be able to overcome their terror and destroy the Ringwraith's bodies, no matter how great and powerful Sauron had become.