View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 06:36 AM   #30
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I remember seeing Bakshis LoTR on sunday afternoon TV as a kid, and I was well impressed, puzzled and disturbed, but its biggest effect was to leave me wanting more info and visuals of Middle Earth.
So I read LoTR, which was brilliant, but for years I had an unchangeable set of mental images of all of the Bakshi-style Fellowship, which was bad, especially for those cheeky wee basin haircutted Hobbits with their quirky little hand movements and japery.
All-in-all though its a top introduction to JRRTs work for kids, particuarly lazy ones, and Essex I totally agree with you about 'the ATMOSPHERE of the movie being great' it had/has some genuinely fine moments - eg. Frodo valiantly resisting the Wraiths at Weathertop and the Ford of Bruinen, two moments where PJs Frodo could've been so much better and truer to the Book, had he copied Bakshis version.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote