View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #209
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Frodides smiled in a motherly fashion at the woman. She had grown quite fond of Aedre over the years and knew her very well, more than most guests at the Inn for she did not show herself much. In truth Aedre was only a little younger than herself, though Frodides had always thought her much younger than she really was. Aedre had a very good heart. Frodides had always known this, but her offer to do extra work so Mae could go out walking only proved it further. "I thank you for your offer, Aedre," she said, "and I have no doubt that Maercwen does the same, but... You see, Mae has already been out riding this morning and I consider it now not a matter of the work that needs to be done but a lesson of responsibility and duty, whatever the disappointment." She turned to speak to her daughter, but she saw that Mae was gone. Peering around the kitchen door, she saw that Maercwen had just departed the company of Hearpwine and had turned towards the Inn door. Frodides realized that she was no doubt looking for Gomen.

Frodides turned back to Aedre and smiled again. "Once again I thank you," she said. She continued with her work but continued to steadily gaze at Aedre. "It has been long since we have spoken," she said. "I do not know why, for we are almost always together. Perhaps it is because these days have been busy and it is often difficult to work and talk at the same time. But as women we should not be denied it." She laughed lightly. "Tell me, Aedre, how have things been in your own life? You have tended well to the lives of the others in your work here, but I hope you are not ignoring yourself."

Maercwen had seen the look of clear disappointment on Hearpwine's face and it increased her own disappointment all the more. She pulled herself away from him as hastily as possible, wishing that she had not been riding earlier in the morning. Perhaps then her mother would be more ready to consent. She treasured the time she had spent with Gomen but she regretted she could not spend time now with Gomen and Hearpwine. He spent all his days at the Hall and would often not return until evening; it would not be a short time before he could request she walk with him again.

She went out to the stables to look for Gomen and found her father standing outside the door, talking in a low voice that was not quite stern but very authoritive. He was addressing a young woman whose face was new to Maercwen. No doubt it had to do with the horses. Her father would never speak in such a tone to a guest on any other matter. She courtesly nodded her head to both but did not speak, for this was a matter which she could not interrupt. She slipped into the stable to search for Gomen.

At first the table appeared empty, or at least Gomen was not there. The horses dozed, or pranced, or ate their breakfast as they saw fit, but Gomen was nowhere in sight. And then she heard a faint sound from the loft. She drew closer, straining her ears, and her eyes widened in shock as she realized it was her brother Gomen, and he was crying. Catching up her skirts she scrambled awkwardly up the ladder and went to the lad's side, falling to her knees beside him and stroking his gold hair. "Gomen, what has happened to you?" she cried in compassion. He made her no answer but merely sat, tears streaming down his face, clenching and unclenching his hands. Maercwen put an arm about his shoulders and helped him to his feet. "Gomen, come to Mamma," she said, gently pulling him to the ladder. "You should not be up here all alone." He obeyed her blindly.

As she hustled him past her father she saw a glimpse of his face and was surprised. It tightened in restrained anger and he looked at the young woman he was speaking with. Not with any strong emotion but a look that knew and also revealed. Maercwen realized immediately the girl had something to do without, though she did not know how she was concerned. Pushing her wonderings aside, she thrust open the door to the Inn and led the sobbing Gomen across the floor of the Common Room towards the kitchen. Bethberry had been speaking with Sigurd but when she saw Gomen she stopped, saying, "Maercwen, what has happened?"

Maercwen paused for a moment and studied Bethberry thoughtfully, then briefly cast her gaze over all gathered there. All of them were as surprised as Bethberry. Clearly it was only her father who knew what was wrong. "I don't know," she said slowly, and brought Gomen into the kitchen. Frodides let out a gasp when she saw him and knelt in front of him, catching his tears in her apron. He would not tell her what was wrong as he had not told Mae, so Frodides merely pulled him to her and held him, stroking his hair comfortingly. Maercwen stood awkwardly by until her mother spoke, saying, "Mae, would you make a cup of tea for the lad?"

Gomen spoke brokenly, his voice caught up in sobs and the breath pulled from him. "I don't want a cup of tea, Mamma."

"Just sit, darling," she said, putting him on a chair and gazing down at him. She felt her heart breaking inside her, as it had always whenever one of her children was hurt. The tear-stained little faces, the little bodies convulsed with sobs, and the weeping hearts within them. She remembered as a young girl she had once seen a boy crying with sorrow and hurt and she had wanted nothing more than to gather him in her arms and mother him. Looking down at her own son she realized there was nothing to prevent her and so she put her arms about him once more and comforted him as only a mother can.