View Single Post
Old 06-26-2004, 06:45 AM   #211
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Though he had not been asked to do so, Osric took Bethberry’s vaguely concealed hint, grabbed it by the horns, and ran with it before anything could be done to stop him. He was far too eager to get the irksome situation squared away to allow Sigurd the opportunity to make a mistake, so a renewed and refreshed tirade. “Well, the lad has a strong arm, for any hard labor you might charge him with, a quick wit and a head for numbers, does not tire as easily as most, has an inexhaustible nature that I’m sure would profit from, I assure you. He could help in the stables, cater to guests, tend to the grounds, see to all of the delectable victuals you provide, tend to the ale supply, hold up legless tables-”

“Osric,” Bethberry raised her hand, in effect silencing him abruptly, with a delicate and well-hidden smile crossing her face, “Sigurd is entirely capable of speaking for himself.”

Osric was about to continue, and his mouth had already opened with a new word forming on his lips, but the vague and interruptible sound duly died in his throat, as if on cue, and he nodded in defeat, realizing his own error as he spoke, much more meekly than the old Rohirrim usually did. “Yes,” he murmured dejectedly, “yes. Of course he is.” He turned, still looking defeated, but with some mild idea of hope reflected on his face as he looked at his nephew, with a expression that seemed a mix between insistence and pleading. “Sigurd,” he said, trying to fill his raspy voice with an aspect of command, but probably failing, “tell Bethberry what jobs you can do for her and how aptly.”

Again, Sigurd concealed no grin, but let it shine for his uncle to see and narrow his tired eyes at. He turned, still smiling, and clasped his hands in front of him, looking amiably at the former innkeeper. “My uncle exaggerates.” he began, words which caused Osric to visibly wince, for he no doubt thought that Sigurd was about to squander whatever chances he’d ever had. “Betberry, I am just a simple young man, but I will try my hardest to do whatever task you appoint me, as it will benefit both of us mutually no matter what. If that is not specific enough for you, forgive me, but I know not what slots are available for the filling, so I can only say that.” And he ended promptly and with fine precision, allowing Betberry and the other esteemed folk gathered to consider his words, while Osric just looked nervously back and forth and coughed.