View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That is a very good point , Lalwende, for example I recognize that having been obliged to read Middlemarch for my degree, it is hard to fault George Eliot's technical ability but she carries her learning soooooo heavily that I have never felt inclined to read the rest. Yet a friend since A Levels and now a English Teacher, loves her above all and treats my disaffection with amusement.

If you look at my shelves you might think Literati - I have read a lot of the "canon" but I have ot say I only keep the "pop" stuff I feel I will want to read again - my comfort reading - the rest I treat as magazines and if they don't hold my attention they are almost as cheap and just as disposable. And I do like Bridget Jones.. at least the first one, I prefer Isabell Wolff but it did make me laugh at a very grim time in my life.....

I have to admit, I kept my fondness for Tolkien and Glasworthy, "in the closet" during my time at University and never was quite brave enough to say I much preferred Trollope (Anthony not Joanna) to Dickens so maybe there is an element of the "Emperor's new Clothes" going on here?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote